Counter
Free Site Counter

Friday, August 26, 2005

In Memory of a Beloved Teacher

This D'var Torah is in memory of my beloved mentor, teacher and friend, Mrs. Bina Hanoka.
May this D'var Torah help the neshama of
Bina bas Gitty
to ascend to the highest heights of Shamayim.


This week's parsha, Parshas Eikev, includes the mitzvah of Tefillin ("bind them as a sign on your hand, and let them serve as a symbol on your forehead"); Mezuzah ("inscribe them on the doorposts of your house and upon your gates"); the advice to "listen to My commandments today" (an advisement to enthusiastically approach mitzvos with a fresh daily regeneration); the power of silence accompanied by the need for shmias ha'ozen, being a "careful listener" and the importance of Jewish education.

The second paragraph of the Shema makes an appearance herein, "You are to teach them to your children; when you sit at home, journey on the road, go to sleep and when you rise."

And yet the inconsistencies are immediately apparent. The verse begins in the plural ("teach them") and suddenly takes a turn for the singular tense, revealing a Torah priority of responsibilities: the wider Jewish community is obligated to provide the educational infrastructure so that the other irreplaceable partner in Jewish education, the individual parent, can teach not by knowledge but by example.

One the most incredible teachers that I have ever had passed away today. Mrs. Bina Hanoka was and still is one of my role models. She was my Judaic Studies teacher in 4th grade. Even though it was only one year, she and I developed a very special relationship. When I heard that she had become sick, I tried to take on different things in the hopes that she would get better. I went with my mother one Friday afternoon to visit her, and despite the pain she must have been in, she greeted us with a smile and still kept up her amazing attitude.

Obviously, Hashem missed one of His very special neshamos, and He wanted it back. She was such an inspiring woman and I have learned so much from her. I hope to carry what she has taught me, inside the classroom and out, with me throughout my entire life. I really miss her.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. May we only hear good news.

Love,
Hinda

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sending you a hug. It should get to you in a few days.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"May we only hear good news."
Amen!!!

I am so sorry to here about your's, and the way you described her, Klal Yisrael's loss. It sounds like she really meant a lot to you, and I'm sure she is getting a lot of nachas from this D'Var Torah and the many other wonderful D'Vrei Torah you have and will in the future share and teach to others.

I love you and miss you a lot!

May we only know of simchas from this day on !!!

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I just left you a message...how ironic. I just decided to google and see if I could find out about Mrs. Hanoka. She too was a teacher of my in SECOND GRADE. I still remember a pasuk by heart that she taught us. She was a beautiful person and I learned so much from her. Even though second grade was such a long time ago for me and I probably have not seen her in over 20 years (I am married now with kids), I still see her beautiful face and wonderful neshama...May her kids and family know no more sorrows...to good memories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home