Counter
Free Site Counter

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Whoa...

I just got back from speech class and I have to tell you what one girl spoke about: The genocide (the killing of an entire racial or religious group) in Darfur, Sudan. Most of you may have heard about it, but do we really know the severity of it? This girl was the last speaker of the class, and rightfully so. She spoke with such conviction. She is an incredible speaker. She told us that there is a militant action group that is killing thousands of men and raping thousands of women every month. She told us that even in the DP camps which are considered their "safe haven", 10,000 people die every month. When they are in the camps, they need to go out and get food. They have a choice: either they send out the men who have the risk of being killed, or they send out the women who have the chance of being raped. They have to choose the lesser or two evils and send out the women. What kind of life it that?

She brought it close to home by comparing it to the Holocaust. She said that after the Holocaust, everyone was saying, "never again." Well, what is happening now in Sudan? Over two million people have fled their homes to find safety. Some made it to the neighboring country of Chad. Some went to DP camps, which, as mentioned above, is not the best safety net. She then said to us, "I know what you're thinking. You don't know these people, you don't see the situation, so it must not be happening." She told us that we need to stop the apathy and DO something. She told us what other colleges are doing about the situation. Georgetown University had a day when no one drank any alcohol and they took the money they would have spent on liquor and put it towards the people of Darfur. Students of Duke University wear purple hearts to say that they are always thinking of what is going on. She told us that on a website, it lists 100 colleges that are doing something. "Where is Stern College?" she asks.

She told us that on Monday night, there will be a meeting about the situation and what we can do about it. We can learn how to make protests, write letters etc. She is selling green awareness bracelets for $2. She gave out letters to president Bush for us to sign. She had an incredible impact on me. After the class, when the teacher asked us what worked, I said things about the two speakers that went before her, then I came to her and was speechless. There are no words to describe the feeling I had when I left the room.

I think it is important for people to be aware about what is going on. I was appalled at the fact that I was so unaware of what was going on. I am not going to tell you all to be all political and arrange sit-ins, protests or anything. I just wanted to share my experience. But I must tell you, reading it is not the same as hearing it. I, personally, am not sure what I am going to do about the situation, but awareness is the first step.

I will end this with the way she ended the speech (something like this): "After the Holocaust, we said never again, this time, when we say it, we can really mean it."

May we merit to see the coming of Moshiach very soon, so all this insanity can end!

(Editor's note: I apologize if this doesn't make sense, but I am sure you get the idea)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home