Counter
Free Site Counter

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

MONDAY!

Monday is the longest day for me. I have to tell you about the session that we had in my Introduction to Elementary Education course. A woman from the Lincoln Cultural Institute (a music institute) came in. Anyway, she brought in different kinds of instruments. Kazoos, recorders, maracas, bongos, a hand-drum, xylophones and wooden sticks. She laid them on the table and told us to write down which three instruments would sound good together. Then she asked us to write a composition with the instruments. We could write it with words, lines or pictures. She taught us about different musical terms. Dynamics (volume), tempo, beats etc. She explained how almost every instrument is capable of having different dynamics and beats. Then she asked us each to take an instrument. Everyone who had similar instruments sat together and we went around hearing the different ways they could be played. Then a few girls put different girls with different instruments together and wrote different compositions. After a few minutes we all presented our compositions and discussed what elements of sound we used. It was great. This whole shebang was done to prepare us for the performance that we were going to see at 7pm. Three musicians from the LCI came to play three pieces of music for us. It was such beautiful music. There was a woman playing piano, a woman playing the viola (like a violin, but deeper) and a man playing the clarinet. The viola player and the clarinet player were married to each other. After they finished playing, they allowed us to ask questions. I never thought that I could enjoy the music so much. I guess I enjoy classical music more when it's live. Before I left for this concert, I was helping my friends get ready for a girl from seminary's wedding. I was not planning to go with them. HOWEVER, when I got back from the concert, I realized that I LOVE weddings! Why should I pass this up? I wasn't SO close with the bride, but everyone would be there having a great time! Besides, we made great shtick! So, at around 9, I took the train to the wedding. It was a lot of fun. Afterwards, my friend, Rachel, wanted to know how we were all getting home. Three friends and I were going to take the train. Rachel said that she cannot let us go on the train so late at night. So, 12 girls piled into her 7 seater van and we drove back to her house. There were 5 girls, including me, who needed to get back to Stern. Four of them decided to get a car service. I decided to sleep at Rachel's and leave to school in the morning. I figured that it was already 1:30am, I only had one class on Tuesday that starts at 10:30, so I'll get up no problem. Or so I thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home